The holiday season is a time for celebration, family, and spreading joy. However, it can also be a time where accidents and injuries occur. This is especially true when it comes to spinal injuries. While decorating your home with lights and ornaments may seem harmless, it can actually pose serious risks if proper precautions are not taken. According to the National Safety Council, falls are responsible for 31% of spinal injuries during the holiday season.
So how can you avoid spinal injuries this holiday season? Here are some tips to keep in mind while decorating your home:
- Choose a sturdy ladder: If you need to use a ladder to hang lights or decorations, make sure it is sturdy and in good condition. Inspect it before use and ensure that it is placed on a stable surface.
- Use proper ladder safety techniques: When climbing a ladder, always maintain three points of contact (two feet and one hand or two hands and one foot) at all times. Do not lean to the side while reaching for decorations as this can cause the ladder to become unstable.
- Have someone spot you: It’s always a good idea to have someone else present while using a ladder. They can hold the base of the ladder to prevent it from slipping or call for help in case of an emergency.
- Avoid standing on furniture: While it may be tempting to stand on a chair or couch to reach high places, this is not recommended. These pieces of furniture are not designed to support your weight and can easily tip over.
- Be careful on roofs: If you need to get on the roof to hang lights or decorations, make sure it is sturdy and free from any snow or ice. Wear proper footwear with good traction and avoid walking near the edges.
Even with these precautions, accidents can still happen. If you do experience a spinal injury, it’s important to pay attention to any symptoms that may indicate a more serious issue. These can include numbness, tingling or weakness in the arms or legs, loss of bladder or bowel control, and severe pain.
If you experience any of these symptoms after a fall or accident during the holiday season, it’s important to seek medical attention right away. Spinal injuries should not be taken lightly and can worsen if left untreated.